Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cute - What a Word!



I have a fetish for "cute" things! Seriously, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the store models of things for sale. Like the little miniature tents at Wal Mart. I want one SO bad. And the little desk model at Costco. What I wouldn't give for one of those! I have this "dream" of a room totally devoted to "cute" little things like that. My Barbie would love it. Yes, I still have my Barbie and the house, car and other things. Anyway, the word CUTE causes a serious eyeroll from DH. And a sigh or two if I am lucky.

A couple of years ago, we stopped at the saddle maker Sam Booths house in St. Johns. Sam taught Steve how to make saddles years ago. In their home, they had the "cutest" miniature saddle I have ever seen. I had a fit, I wanted one of those "cute" things. Sam gave Steve a saddle tree (that is the basic structure a saddle is built on) and thus I began hinting, asking and flat out begging for my "cute" saddle. I wanted it for decoration AND the grandkids of course would be able to ride it. Christmas 2009 Steve made me one and it's one of the most talked about items in our home.

Thatcher is our 8th grandchild and a born Cowboy. Whoever says kids don't come with certain characteristics don't know squat! This little fellow loves to ride, do chores and follow "Bonka" around. After all, Bonka is a Cowboy! Well, Thatcher gets on this saddle on someone's leg and rides it until the horse (leg) gives out. Then he gets down and pulls the saddle off right by the hole beneath the horn (just like the real Cowboy's do) and away he goes to find another horse (someone else sitting in the room) until this horse gives out too. He can wear out three or four good horses in an evening! He never seems to tire of it and swears it is his saddle. I correct him and say No, it's G-ma's saddle. The best concession I get is, O.k. it's G-ma's and my saddle!

The saddle truly is a work of art. It is authentic from the tree up, wool skin, saddle strings, covered stirrups, the works. I LOVE my "cute" saddle and know it was a work of love. Little things are often more difficult to make than a normal size. This was no different. BTW, my husband does make custom saddles, anyone interested??

No comments:

Post a Comment